
Every new mom I know goes in to buy the 4 pack of professional portraits for their beautiful new children. They take them religiously at 3 months, 6 months, 9 and 12 months. Some even get the newborn package where they take pictures of the new fam within weeks of delivery. I admire these friends of mine. Alas, I have fallen short of this goal.
Our first pro pics were when Jack was 4 months. So then I tried to play it off like I would just do 4-, 8- , and 12 month portraits. Well...it just didn't happen. So we now have 9 months pictures and even those were pushed back 3 times!!! (So sorry, Jack!)
If you read the fiasco that was our first portrait session, you will understand that I took extra precautions for the next sessions to be perfect. We bought matching polos for Daddy and baby. We made sure Jack had not only eaten but taken a nap. House was clean, etc...
So around 12ish, Jack was ready for his nap. How perfect! He would rest to wake up happy (He's always happy when he wakes up on his own), eat, and be bright and perky for Phom our photographer who was to arrive at 2:oopm.
Except that he didn't wake up. I must have paced back and forth 30 times waiting to hear a peep so that I could quickly feed him and have him dressed and ready. 1:15...1:30...1:35...1:40...1:41...1:42...are you kidding me?
So I did it. Yep, I knew better, but what were my choices? I went in to wake him up in my sweetest mothering voice to be met with loud wails and non-participation. I barely got food in him and dressed in time.
There I am again, full sweat again, from fighting to dress Jack. My perma-straight hair with no curl now has strange waves in it (not the good kind), and I ran to throw my dress on smearing makeup on the crisp white frock. Did I mention it was 102 degrees that day?
We were so happy that Jack could now sit on his own for his pictures. Had we had them done at 8 months, that would have perfect. However, our 9 month old could crawl and had zilch interest in sitting still for someone to take more pictures of him. (When you try to make him sit still, he makes some weird seal noise...not picture-perfect.)
Skylar and I were trying so hard to make him look at the camera and smile at the same time, the two of us look ridiculous in the pictures. You should have heard Skylar laughing at himself the first time he saw them. Lucky for you, I have whittled them down to just a few.

At least Jack's cute :)


Oh, and we got his hair cut the next week...because that's how mixed up our schedule is. Professional portraits? Why get a haircut now?


No comments:
Post a Comment