The Boys

The Boys

Thursday, July 2, 2009

We Made It!


We made it!  Skylar and I survived our first trip away from our precious baby Jack! So what could possibly pull us away from our Little Man, you ask?  My friend Kathryn got married in Italy (No, we didn't go out of the country) and had a reception in Houston last weekend. We weren't sure how he fit in the weekend, so we decided to make the clean break and leave him with Skylar's mom.  Now I'm not going to say that we made it out of Little Rock with no tears, but aside from the fear of crashing and never seeing Jack again, we had a great time.  I even took some pics to show you what we did with our day of no schedule!

Our hotel was in downtown Houston across from a new park called Discovery Green. There was so much going on! First we had the most incredible shrimp burger ever at this gorgeous restaurant named The Grove. 

(You heard right, shrimp burger with spicy avocado mayonnaise and fennel slaw...yum! Kathryn, go get one now!)


From there you could look out onto the most awesome park ever where they just happened to have the Dockdogs Jump-a-thon competition. If you're not familiar with the Big Air competition, that's where they have dogs see how far they can jump across a pool of water from a dock. We also watched a bit of the Extreme Vertical contest before going back to the hotel.


It was so much fun to watch these dogs compete. We definitely got caught up in it and even decided on a favorite, Browning, who we think won at least one competition.

Here's a picture of him from the official site of his jump in Houston!
So that was just one part of the park. They also had this really cool area with fountains that all the children play in. There were so many kids in their tiny bathing suits just having a good time cooling down.

(Okay, so that made us really miss Jack.) 
They also have a 1-acre park where you can sail remote control sailboats.  


You can see they have a stage where they were reading angry poetry that day. (Don't ask. Big city stuff, I guess.)

The reception was later on that night at an art gallery, so Skylar and I got all dressed up (I can't even remember the last time we did that).  Here's a pic...how uncomfortable do we look?


Kathryn looked absolutely beautiful.


 I was so glad we made the trip and I got to spend some time with her. Best friends are so important. 

When we landed, Skylar and I were super anxious to see Jack.  I wish I could say the same for him. I had all these visions about how he would leap our of my mother-in-law's hands while screaming "Mo-mma!" as I came down the escalator at the airport.  Instead he was tired and was just people-watching. I knew his heart was screaming out for me though.     ;)

Oh my gosh, I almost forgot.  We saw these people riding around on tiny carts. Finally we saw them up close and realized that they were just ice chests with wheels and handles!  You know I got a picture!

How completely awesome is that?!!!! 

No comments:

background